I-Bowl Alumni in NFL Free Agency
UPDATED as of March 24 at 8:45 a.m. CT
With the National Football League’ new league year beginning on March 18, the league’s “legal tampering period” began on March 16. With rumors of new contracts and big money flying around, Independence Bowl alumni have collected a total of $188 million in free agency. 2013 Defensive Player of the Game, Will Parks, was one of the most recent players to sign in free agency – heading to the Philadelphia Eagles on a one-year deal worth $1.6 million.
Two more I-Bowl alumni, wide receiver A.J. Green and safety Justin Simmons, have been franchise tagged by the Cincinnati Bengals and Denver Broncos, respectively. Green hauled in six catches for 57 yards in the 2009 Independence Bowl, while Simmons made six solo tackles and recovered on fumble for Boston College in 2013. Offensive tackle Russell Okung, who started as a true freshman for Oklahoma State in the 2006 Independence Bowl, was traded from the Los Angeles Chargers to the Carolina Panthers. One notable I-Bowl alumni that has yet to sign in free agency is offensive tackle Jason Peters (Arkansas, 2003), who played tight end for the Razorbacks in the 2003 Independence Bowl.
Below are all the Independence Bowl alumni that have signed in free agency through Thursday, March 19:
- QB Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M, 2009) – Four years, $118 million with the Tennessee Titans
- OL Ereck Flowers (Miami, 2014) – Three years, $30 million with the Miami Dolphins
- S Tre Boston (North Carolina, 2011) – Three years, $18 million with Carolina
- QB Chase Daniel (Missouri, 2005) – Three years, $13.05 million with the Detroit Lions
- CB Jimmy Smith (Colorado, 2007) – One year, $6 million with the Baltimore Ravens
- LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (Boston College, 2013) – One year, $3.45 million with the Washington Redskins
- WR Damiere Byrd (South Carolina, 2014) – One year, $2.5 million with the New England Patriots
- S Will Parks (Arizona, 2013) – One year, $1.6 million with the Philadelphia Eagles
- S Deon Bush (Miami, 2014) – One year, $1.4 million with the Chicago Bears
TOTAL (as of 3/24): $194 million (excluding franchise tags)
Former Independence Bowl Kickoff Luncheon speaker Jason Witten also signed a one-year deal with the Las Vegas Raiders worth up to $4.75 million.
Independence Bowl Foundation
P.O Box 1723, Shreveport LA 71166 | 401 Market Street, Shreveport, LA 71101 | 318.221.0712